Tuesday 31 January 2012

Children's Open Exhibition - Ferens Art Gallery, Hull

Just over a week ago I managed to get to the last day of the above exhibition, the annual Children's Open at the Ferens Art Gallery, Hull. I had particular interest in it this year as our grand-daughter had managed to secure a painting in it! Apparently, all the children were asked to paint a scene depicting poppies in some way - the teacher didn't let on that the children were perhaps being judged to take part in the exhibition, so when Matheea found out that her painting would be on display it was a lovely surprise for us all!

I managed to take some photos of several that I was really impressed with, or that appealed to me for one reason or another - including Matheea's painting, of course.

The 7 to 11 year old section - Matheea's is 2nd in on the top row.

"Poppy Fields" by Matheea Ellerby.

"The Blue Eyed Fox" by William McCulloch, aged 6.
This painting of the blue eyed fox was Highly Commended by the Friends of the Ferens, and I can understand why - such an appealing painting, and very well executed for a six year old!

"Jewels Under The Sea" by Megan Gore, age 14.
I was particularly drawn to this textile piece of art - I think she has got the balance just right and it is a very striking image.

Self Portrait by Chloe Hewson, age 11.
Of all the portraits on display, this was the one that I liked the most. I thought it was an excellent piece of work for someone of this age.

"It's Not All Black and White" by Francesca Wilkinson, age 11.

"The Lighthouse" by Fergus Croston, age 10.

The above two images are of a very high standard, in my opinion. I loved the image of the soldier in pencil drawing, as a stark contrast to the vibrantly painted poppy fields he's crouched down in - and to have been painted by an 11 year old, too! I love it. As for the lighthouse- I'm sure there are many adults who couldn't master watercolours in the same way as this young man obviously has! I shall be looking out for more from him in the future.

"Ballerina" by Andreea Voinea, age 11
I was also drawn (excuse the pun) to this portrayal of a ballerina, perfectly proportioned and rendered masterfully by 11 year old Andreea Voinea. Incredible!

I think my favourite was the pen drawing of a thistle, which had a First Place sticker next to it, so I was obviously not alone in my thinking:

"Thistle" by Adam Toomes, age 15.
It's the detail and texture that he has captured which enthral me - it is just a beautiful reproduction of the plant.

Whilst we were there, we also had a look at the Colin Gray exhibition, which was amazing. His photographs are of his parents and their life - right up to the death of his mother, which he has also photographed. It sounds macabre, but it is done with such style that you are admiring the skill of the photographer and not shying away from the subject matter.

One of the photographs I was most impressed with can be seen on the preview of the exhibition if you click on this link. The link will open in a new window for you. His exhibition runs until February 26th and I'm sure we will be back to see it again before then!

The Ferens Art Gallery is situated on Queen Victoria Square, in the centre of the town. Opened in 1927, the award winning Ferens Art Gallery combines internationally renowned permanent collections with a thriving programme of temporary exhibitions. There is also a lively education and events programme that includes talks and art workshops.

The gallery's first-class permanent collection of paintings and sculpture spans the medieval period to the present day. These include European Old Masters, particularly Dutch and Flemish, portraiture, marine paintings, modern and contemporary British art, including video. Highlights include masterpieces by Frans Hals, Antonio Canaletto, Stanley Spencer, David Hockney, Helen Chadwick and Gillian Wearing.

Part of the Designated Collections of national importance relating to the city and region of Kingston upon Hull are on display here.

Hours of opening are Monday to Saturday 10am - 5pm, Sunday 1.30pm - 4.30pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on any aspect of my posts - it's always nice to know when someone has taken the time to actually read my blog, so it matters little what you say, it's just good to hear from you!