Tuesday 26 February 2013

Poggy days....

My sister and I often used the word "poggy" when we were growing up together - when we were feeling particularly ugly or generally not very good- those days when all you want to do is stay in bed and hide from the outside world. I always thought it was a word my sister invented to describe our feelings on such days, but I've just done a search for it online, and discovered that there are a couple of meanings similar to ours in the urban dictionary, interestingly enough both of which originate in the North of England!

Definition One:

A mute alcoholic concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others

rooted in North Yorkshire 
"I saw him the other day he has turned into a right poggy"
Definition Two:
Used in the north of England meaning a muddy area.
"Don't walk over there in your new shoes it's poggy!"
I only mention this word because I'm having a particularly poggy day today and I bet my sister is, too - our poggy days often coincide. On those days, I usually care little about my appearance, sometimes I don't get dressed at all. I have little or no enthusiasm for dong anything but eating comfort food and drinking hot drinks (preferably sweet ones).
However, I then got to thinking about poggy days versus painting days, and clothes-wise, there's not much difference! When I know I'm going to spend the full day painting, I actually enjoy putting on my 17year old pair of grey "slacks" (which I used to wear for work when I went out of the house to earn my money) and a paint-smeared, glue-encrusted old sweatshirt. I even wear horrible old socks, to make the ensemble even better. There's no point in even trying to do anything with my hair on days like this, so I just leave it. This usually means I have what I've termed "sprouting fringe syndrome"  - my fringe is no longer behaving like a fringe, but is actually heading off in all directions from the front of my head, rather like a peacock's feathers, only nowhere near as delightful to look at.
I am tending to have more and more poggy days as I get older, although I do still like to put make-up on and wear my "best" clothes when we go out, it's just not as important to me as it used to be. I wonder if anyone else has a special name for days when they feel like this?
I need to get changed for tonight, as I've got to leave the house for a musical rehearsal, but as the day will be spent painting and co-writing another script, I can safely stay poggy till at least 6pm, and that suits me!
I daren't really show you a photo of me as I am on a poggy day, so instead will just post this photo of me from a play, with my hair back-combed and when I was playing an "interesting" character!:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on any aspect of my posts - it's always nice to know when someone has taken the time to actually read my blog, so it matters little what you say, it's just good to hear from you!