Sunday 14 February 2010

Beetroot Soup Recipe

A week or so ago, I got a hankering for some beetroot soup. I'd never tried any before, nor did I have any recipes in for it. The urge to create some myself was so strong, however, that I decided to just go ahead and do it!

The photo here shows the finished result with a dash of cream in it, not obligatory of course but it does add a certain something, I think!

For this recipe which provided approximately 5 servings, this is what I did:




Ingredients

Olive oil, for frying the veg
3/4 Pint Stock ( I used beef, but you could use chicken or veg instead)
2 sticks celery, diced.
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
1 med onion, diced.
5 pieces ready cooked beetroot, diced.
Large handful chopped parsley
3 Tablespoons tomato puree
salt & pepper to taste
Optional double cream to taste
Extra 100ml water, possibly.

Method

Heat the oil and fry the celery, garlic and onion in a deep saucepan for 5 mins or so until nicely softened and just starting to colour. Add the beetroot, stock, parsley and tomato puree. Mix well, add some salt and pepper to taste then simmer for about 5-10 mins. Pour the mixture into a food blender and whizz up until a smooth puree style texture - you may need to add another 100ml of water to the pan prior to this if it seems a bit bulky!

Return the pureed ingredients to the saucepan and heat through once more. Just before serving, pour in as much double cream as you like, to taste and for extra flavour. Alternatively, pour some cream onto the soup in the serving bowl.

I used some beetroot that was pickled, which gave the soup a rather nice kick somehow, although any cooked variety would be good, I'm sure.

This tastes just as good second time around after keeping in the fridge - I had a third bowl 5 days later and it was fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on any aspect of my posts - it's always nice to know when someone has taken the time to actually read my blog, so it matters little what you say, it's just good to hear from you!